Skin Cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed today. There are three main forms of skin cancer:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma are often found on skin exposed to the sun (face, neck and arms). Other areas of the body can also be affected. Both Basal and Squamous Cell Carcinoma are very common and can be treated.
- Malignant Melanoma is less common than basal and squamous cell cancer but it is the most dangerous form of skin cancer. The cancerous growth leads the skin cells to multiply quickly and form malignant tumors. Melanomas often resemble moles and some melanoma develops from moles. Melanoma is a serious disease that requires early diagnosis and treatment.
These types of skin cancer are related to the sun (UVA/UVB rays), sun tanning beds, and genetic as skin cancer can be genetically based.
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH SKIN CANCER?
While Drs. Rebecca Baxt and Saida Baxt explain to patients that everyone is at risk for developing skin cancer, some people are at a higher risk. Some of the more common risk factors that increase your risk for developing melanoma include:
- Heredity – family history of a close relative with melanoma significantly increases your risk of developing melanoma.
- Ultraviolet (UVA/UVB) light exposure – skin exposed to sunlight is the main cause of skin cancer and also the easiest to prevent.
- Fair colored or light skin tone – People with fair colored skin have a higher risk than African-Americans or Hispanics of developing skin cancer. BUT, all people are advised to protect their skin with sunblock and sunscreen.
Prevention and Early Detection is Key!
At BAXT CosMedical® we offer our patients a full skin cancer screening on a yearly basis, or more often for those at high risk. We see many patients with skin cancer.
The most important aspect of skin cancer treatment is prevention and early detection since most cancers are curable if caught early and treated*. Early detection requires good self-examination of the skin as well as yearly or more frequent examinations by a dermatologist. We also treat pre-cancers before they become skin cancers with Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)*.
At BAXT CosMedical® we offer an excellent selection of the best sunscreens and sun blocks available at our office for every skin type, including acne and rosacea prone, sensitive skin and eczema.
We look forward to helping you keep your skin healthy and beautiful.
*Results may vary for different patients and are not guaranteed.