Breast Augmentation (Breast Implant)
Breast augmentation — also known as augmentation mammoplasty — is one of the most common cosmetic surgical procedures desired by women who want to improve the size and shape of their breast. For many women, breast augmentation helps to improve and increase their self-confidence*. At BAXT CosMedical®, our board certified plastic surgeons have helped thousands of women achieve their breast augmentation goals.
*Actual patients. Results may vary and are not guaranteed.
View More Before & After Photos
Since the development of the breast augmentation procedure in the late 1960s, there has been a constant evolution in breast augmentation techniques. Today, patients and surgeons have many choices when considering a breast enlargement procedure, including numerous types of implants, approaches, and alternatives. Our plastic surgeons understand that NO single technique or implant type is right for every woman, and the choices can be confusing and overwhelming. BAXT CosMedical® surgeons and professional staff are here to help you make the best decision for your individual goals.
To help you feel more comfortable about your decision to have breast augmentation, here is a brief outline of the options we offer at BAXT CosMedical®, as well as an overview of what happens before and after surgery. We invite you to view our before and after photo gallery and review what our patient videos and written testimonials say.
Why do women undergo breast augmentation surgery?
Typically our plastic surgeons see patients who are interested in enhancing their breasts for a variety of reasons. Some of the reasons include:
- Desire to enlarge their breast size
- Correct asymmetrical breasts
- Restore breast volume loss typically lost after childbirth and/or breast-feeding
- Bring more balance to their figure
- Improve self-confidence in their body image
Our surgeons advise women that a breast augmentation procedure can be performed at any age but only when their breasts are fully developed. If you are unhappy with your breast size or shape, our plastic surgeons can help you enhance your shape with natural-looking breasts.
What can you expect during your breast augmentation consultation?
We begin with an in-depth consultation that includes a "try-on session," where patients have the opportunity to look in the mirror and select their post-op breast size. We discuss how the surgery will be performed as well as the expected timeline for recuperation and the return to work and leisure activities.
What are the different types of breast implants?
At BAXT CosMedical® we offer both saline-filled and silicone-filled implants. We provide samples of both types of implants for patients to feel, and we help walk you through the information so you can make a well-informed decision.
After you have talked about your breast augmentation goals, completed a physical examination, and have been determined to be a good candidate for a breast enlargement procedure, our plastic surgeons will discuss with you the types of implants (saline, silicone gel, and gummy bear) and the shape (round, smooth, or textured) of the implants. We will help you select the appropriate size and shape of your desired breast implants.
A brief description of the three major implants types are:
- Saline breast implants - Saline breast implants are FDA-approved (for women age 18 or older) and are filled with sterile salt water.
- Silicone breast implants - Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved (for women age 22 or older) and are filled with silicone gel. The primary benefit of silicone breast implants is that they offer women a more natural feel.
- Gummy bear implants - Gummy bear implants are the latest type of implants and are FDA-approved (for women age 22 or older). They are shaped rather than round.
What types of surgical incision are used at BAXT CosMedical®?
BAXT CosMedical® plastic surgerons advise their breast augmentation patients that there are a number of different types of surgical techniques. These techniques involve placement of the surgical incision. The three types of incisions are:
- Periareolar - surgeons precisely place the incision around the outline of the areola to insert the selected implant. This approach can be used on most women except those who have an unusually small areola.
- Inframmary – the incision is made along the crease (fold) of the breasts. This is the most popular surgical approach however some patients are bothered by the small scar.
- Transaxillary - the incision is placed in the natural fold of the armpit tissue to the breast. The implant is inserted behind the nipple.
Location of Implants in the Breast
Our plastic surgeons will discuss with you the location of placement of implants within the breasts. There are three options:
- Submuscular placement - Behind the pectoralis muscle
- Subglandular placement – Behind the breast tissue, over the muscle
- Dual Plane – a combination of above, partially behind the muscle and partially behind the breast
The Keller Funnel™ Technique
Another technique used to insert breast implants is the Keller Funnel™. The Keller Funnel™ was invented by Dr. Kevin M. Keller to allow plastic surgeons to insert breast implants using a no-touch technique. The Keller Funnel™ technique allows the plastic surgeon to never handle or touch the implants nor does the implant rub up against the patient’s skin during the breast augmentation procedure. This is important as this technique eliminates the very small risk of bacteria residing on the shell of the implant and the risk of capsular contracture is also reduced.
What are the advantages of using The Keller Funnel™?
- Allows for ease of insertion of larger breast implants
- Less time in the operating room
- Reduced risk of infection
- Reduced risk of capsular contracture
Remember, the choice of location depends on your body type, your existing breast size, the degree of enhancement desired and the type of implant.
We want you to feel confident and comfortable with you breast augmentation surgery. Our plastic surgeons cover the advantages and disadvantages of the approaches and help you select the best approach based on your body and aesthetic breast enhancement goals. We will thoroughly review your breast augmentation surgery pre and post-operative instructions.
Also review a partial list of our recommendations for “Medications to Avoid” prior to surgery. To learn more about the safety of breast augmentation surgery, we invite you to review the FDA’s information, “5 Things to Know About Breast Implants.”
Additional breast enhancement procedures offered at BAXT CosMedical®
If breast augmentation does not seem like the correct fit for you, follow the links below to learn about the other breast procedure options we offer at BAXT CosMedical®.
*Results may vary for different patients and are not guaranteed.