Dermatologists are trained to diagnose and treat diseases of the skin, hair, and nails. As board certified dermatologists, Dr. Rebecca Baxt and Dr. Saida Baxt are specially trained to diagnose and treat nail problems – fingernails and toenails.
Healthy nails appear smooth and have a consistent coloring. Patients frequently come to BAXT CosMedical®’s dermatology offices with questions about their nail health. Frequent complaints that men and women report include:
- Nails not growing properly
- An infected nail
- A pigmented nail
- Brittle nails that break easily
- Nail separation
- Fungus (toe and fingers)
There are a variety of issues that may be affecting the health of your nails. A consultation with Dr. Rebecca Baxt or Dr. Saida Baxt is recommended to pinpoint the specific cause(s) and recommend a treatment protocol as some problems are warning signs of more serious conditions.
WHAT ARE SOME CAUSES OF SERIOUS NAIL PROBLEMS?
As you age, nails become brittle and thin. This is common. Also, many women report thinning nails due to cosmetic fingernail products; e.g. acrylic nails, gels, etc. More serious nail conditions include:
- Nail pitting (depressions) in nails due to psoriasis or other disorders
- Nails that are soft and have a scooped out depression may be a sign of iron deficiency
- Indentations that run across the nails can indicate a zinc deficiency and may also indicate uncontrolled diabetes and peripheral vascular diseases
- Fingernails that become separated from the nail bed are typically associated with an injury or infection. Other reasons may be due to psoriasis or thyroid disease
Don’t ignore the health of your nails!
HOW ARE NAIL DISORDERS TREATED?
Diagnosing the cause of nail diseases can be complicated as there are many variables. To properly diagnose nail conditions and prescribe an effective treatment, a consultation with a dermatologist is required. Dr. Rebecca Baxt and Sr. Saida Baxt begin with an extensive health history to identify potential causes of your nail problem(s) and do a medical examination.
Once a diagnosis has been obtained, treatments range from special nail polish, creams, and prescription medications to treat nail problems.
If you have a nail problem, schedule a consultation with a BAXT CosMedical® dermatologist. Please be sure to remove all nail polish for the consultation. We look forward to seeing you and helping you to resolve your nail problems. Contact us or call 201-265-1300 today!
Let our family treat your family, a legacy you can trust!
Rebecca Baxt, M.D., M.B.A, F.A.A.D.
Cosmetic & Medical Dermatology Office in Bergen County, NJ / Paramus, NJ